• You MUST read the Babiato Rules before making your first post otherwise you may get permanent warning points or a permanent Ban.

Our resources on Babiato Forum are CLEAN and SAFE. So you can use them for development and testing purposes. If your are on Windows and have an antivirus that alerts you about a possible infection: Know it's a false positive because all scripts are double checked by our experts. We advise you to add Babiato to trusted sites/sources or disable your antivirus momentarily while downloading a resource. "Enjoy your presence on Babiato"

MySQL 8.0 vs MariaDB 10.6 : Which is best & What I should use from your experience?

Go with mysql 8 - it's backed by the giant Oracle. mariadb is a fork created by the original author of mysql. But they're a small entity, and will not be able to match the footprint of oracle.

A few years ago there was a FUD that Oracle may kill mysql, that's when mariadb gained popularity. But that turned out to be a myth, mysql is adequately supported (perhaps not as well as Oracle's main product, but nevertheless it's actively developed) At this juncture, there aren't many valid reasons to choose one over the other apart from big corp licensing restrictions. mariadb may be slightly more performant, but it's less reliable too. in most cases you won't notice a thing.

I personally use mariadb because it's a smaller download and you can just dump the portable version anywhere and get going.
Thanks for reply bor. You are right about everything & I also learned new things like the FUD myth which made mariadb popular. I guess if we start to compare who is the best, there will be no single winner; as each have their on pro & cons. Also it depends upon each user's unique requirements.

After reading all replies, reply from PMs, c-panel support team & my hosting support team; Currently I have decided to go with mariadb in the new server & in next new server which I will buy in next 1-3 months, I will use MySQL 8. Then I will compare & learn what is really better for me.

Personally, I prefer pgsql over mysql for my projects.
Oooooh whatttttt...There is another database too😂..I thought the big ones are mysql and mariadb only.....haha so silly me..May be there are many more..Thanks to you I learned about pgsql.

But No more overthinking or comparing. I will just test it in my new server & then compare. Hope it support wordpress & c-panel.

Mysql practical condition :i thinks that mysql enterprise edition is good for every startup. As a developer i think that team is work on seeding phase, sometime due to some circumstances team need to change or team members need to chage in this case mysql is usefull. you can hire mysql developer with low cost also.

Mariadb practical condition: after seeding phase if you have good traffic and good fund for more scale, you can switch over to it cause mariadb team may be hire with high price. but it can handle better traffic, so automatically it will usefull in search engine rank also.

This is just my opinion as developer, but you can use whatever you want to use.
Thanks brother🙏 for your simplified & easy to understand explanation of both database✌. I am also glad that a active developer i answering to my question.

There won't be a clear winner if we begin to compare who is the greatest because each has advantages and disadvantages of their own. Additionally, it depends on the particular needs of each user.

After reading all of the responses, including those from PMs, the C-Panel help team, and my hosting support team, I've chosen to utilise MariaDB in the new server and MySQL 8 in the subsequent server, which I'll purchase in the upcoming 1-3 months. Then I'll compare them and figure out which is actually better for me.

I guess I am making right decision😀

Reactions: bhuindia
Dear brothers @brass9 and @dreamcoder ; can we stop fighting/arguing like a child about who is right and who is wrong.

I read all of your replies & it was all out of my mind😇😀. As I am not an expert like both of you. So not know who is right and who is wrong. May be a 100 year old coding expert😂😂 can judge who is right if they are alived by any chance😇🤣🤣.

But I am very glad that both of you💗 are trying to help me & others with your unique opinion/knowledge/experience✌✌.

I guess there might be some misunderstandings which cause this opinion disputes. It's fine😀 as we are all human and humans have disputes over silly opinions. Its just natural. See the history, all wars started from just simple opinion mismatch of 2 party.

So instead of making more arguments of who is right/wrong ; let's just bring some peace to this discussion.

I hope you both understand what I mean.

And thanks both of you again🙏

Kind regards,
Iron-Man

Hi everyone🙏, I have another common question related to MySQL & MariaDB.

When I checked attributes of various scripts in evanto market (Ex: codecanyon, themeforest etc.); there it says supported Software Version: PHP 8.x, PHP 7.x, MySQL 8.x, MySQL 5.x

There is no MariaDB mentioned.

Does this means most scripts are not MariaDB compatible.

In the new server, except wordpress, I have also planned to use few other scripts like some android apps, POS, CRM etc.

May be I am wrong, but I guess most scripts may not be compatible with MariaDB as not mentioned in evanto market attribute section. I have to check in the comment sections of each script where some says yes & in some there is no such comment, Also I can not ask presale questions in each script's comment sections😂.

In such case, I have to ditch the MariaDB😭

Plz guide anyone

P.S:

Yesterday I decided to use MriaDB in the new server. But today after getting this doubt, I got another silly overthinking worry. Haha😆...May be some some expert will solve this doubt.

@dreamcoder @TKS @brass9 @bhuindia

Reactions: TKS

When I checked attributes of various scripts in evanto market (Ex: codecanyon, themeforest etc.); there it says supported Software Version: PHP 8.x, PHP 7.x, MySQL 8.x, MySQL 5.x

In the new server, except wordpress, I have also planned to use few other scripts like some android apps, POS, CRM etc.

May be I am wrong, but I guess most scripts may not be compatible with MariaDB as not mentioned in evanto market attribute section. I have to check in the comment sections of each script where some says yes & in some there is no such comment, Also I can not ask presale questions in each script's comment sections😂.

Plz guide anyone

P.S:

Yesterday I decided to use MriaDB in the new server. But today after getting this doubt, I got another silly overthinking worry. Haha😆...May be some some expert will solve this doubt.

Yes No any ready to use script may be supports maria db or its developer wants to switch over. but you can try it by self with few steps, it may be easy cause even i m not use mariadb or do the conversion, but you can try it. even if db converts to mariadb without any error you have to make some changes in code also. so dont delete your mysql database also, after make changes in code, you have to do test run or check the all functions manually by you. if you have budget you can hire developer iin initial stage also. if need any help you can contact me also.
for refrence i add some url - please check
1) officail page -https://mariadb.com/resources/blog/how-to-migrate-from-mysql-to-mariadb-on-linux-in-five-steps/
2) https://hevodata.com/learn/mysql-to-mariadb/
3) https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/difference-between-mysql-and-mariadb/

Have a nice day
bhargav

• Love
Reactions: Iron-Man

Plz guide anyone

P.S:

mysql & mariadb are drop-in replacements in 99% of the cases. you can use any of the above, and you won't notice any difference. that being said, mysql has native JSON data type, which mariadb lacks natively. but mariadb has utility functions for working with JSON, which mysql lacks because it has native column support. I'm quite sure you won't fall into these edge cases, so don't fret. at the end of the day, you or your users will not be able to spot the difference.

if you want to play it safe, go with mysql since it's backed by Oracle corp. if you prefer smaller independent shops or feeling more adventurous, then mariadb would be a good choice. at the end of the day it's still the same. most of the issues you face with one, will be applicable to the other database.

All mysql/mariadb GUI development tools are compatible with both databases. and you can safely migrate your database from mysql to mariadb and vice-versa without any drama. just go with the one that makes you tick, you can always switch to the other in future if need arises. mariadb still provides all utilities with the default mysql_* name (eg mysqld, mysqladmin, mysql in addition to mariadbd, mariadbadmin etc.)
See the image below, these mariadb main database server and utilities are the exact same files but different names:
JpS6BwW.png

I don't install mysql/mariadb on my development machine (docker, baby!), but sometimes I may require a portable installation. in such cases I prefer mariadb because the portable zip distribution is smaller and no-frills. but my code/app runs on either DBs without any changes. so it boils down to personal preferences. (also I'm slightly biased... during the FUD days, like many opensource zombies sheeples, I had switched to and used mariadb in a few projects)

Last edited:
Yes No any ready to use script may be supports maria db or its developer wants to switch over. but you can try it by self with few steps, it may be easy cause even i m not use mariadb or do the conversion, but you can try it. even if db converts to mariadb without any error you have to make some changes in code also. so dont delete your mysql database also, after make changes in code, you have to do test run or check the all functions manually by you. if you have budget you can hire developer iin initial stage also. if need any help you can contact me also.
for refrence i add some url - please check
1) officail page -https://mariadb.com/resources/blog/how-to-migrate-from-mysql-to-mariadb-on-linux-in-five-steps/
2) https://hevodata.com/learn/mysql-to-mariadb/
3) https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/difference-between-mysql-and-mariadb/

Have a nice day
bhargav
Thanks for your reply dear brother bhargav🙏. (aka @bhuindia)

I talked with c-panel support & they told me that due to some recent updates in mySQL 8.0; I can not play with it by converting it to mariadb. They sent me this link: https://support.cpanel.net/hc/en-us/articles/4409311286423-Can-I-convert-MariaDB-10-X-to-MySQL-8-?

So as per them, Once I use one DBMS (Example MariaDB), I have to stick with it. And if I want to convert, then the best way is to buy a new server with MySQL latest version; then convert my old server websites MariaDB to MySQL by any paid database experts or by any free ways, then use them in the new server.

Whatever, my main question was not this. I am not gonna spend time playing with which DBMS is better (I will love to test as per your advice, but unfortunately I have very less time in my hand). So Instead of this, I will buy another server with different DBMS in next upcming months.

My main doubt raised after observing that there is no MariaDB mentioned in evanto market products' tag.. So I thought some scripts not gonna support if I use MariaDB. My doubt may be part of y overthinking😂😂

I guess due to some reasons they have not included any other database like mariadb, postgresql etc. & only added MySQL in their products' tag section.

Whatever, these are my thoughts & plz give me your suggestion:​

I guess as mySQL & mariadb are almost 99.99% identical, the script which support mysql will automatically support mariadb even if they are not mentioned in evanto market.

And if unfortunately they did not support, I can use that script in my other server with mysql. Also bfore this unfortunate event happen, I should talk with the developer before buying😂😂

Am I right or Wrong?

You too have more nice day😍
Iron-Man

mysql & mariadb are drop-in replacements in 99% of the cases. you can use any of the above, and you won't notice any difference. that being said, mysql has native JSON data type, which mariadb lacks natively. but mariadb has utility functions for working with JSON, which mysql lacks because it has native column support. I'm quite sure you won't fall into these edge cases, so don't fret. at the end of the day, you or your users will not be able to spot the difference.

if you want to play it safe, go with mysql since it's backed by Oracle corp. if you prefer smaller independent shops or feeling more adventurous, then mariadb would be a good choice. at the end of the day it's still the same. most of the issues you face with one, will be applicable to the other database.

All mysql/mariadb GUI development tools are compatible with both databases. and you can safely migrate your database from mysql to mariadb and vice-versa without any drama. just go with the one that makes you tick, you can always switch to the other in future if need arises. mariadb still provides all utilities with the default mysql_* name (eg mysqld, mysqladmin, mysql in addition to mariadbd, mariadbadmin etc.)
See the image below, these mariadb main database server and utilities are the exact same files but different names:
JpS6BwW.png

I don't install mysql/mariadb on my development machine (docker, baby!), but sometimes I may require a portable installation. in such cases I prefer mariadb because the portable zip distribution is smaller and no-frills. but my code/app runs on either DBs without any changes. so it boils down to personal preferences. (also I'm slightly biased... during the FUD days, like many opensource zombies sheeples, I had switched to and used mariadb in a few projects)

Thanks for your reply dear brother @brass9🙏,

I loved your reply & thanks for giving me the screenshot of how mariadb looks.

As some of your reply is similar with the suggestion of @bhuindia, I have given reply to him. Please check that out & give your suggestion. You can see my reply above this msg or just click here

I have 2 extra silly questions. Hope you do not mind & respond in your free time.

1)
Currently in my old server with c-panel where I am using MySQL; this is the option to manage them: https://prnt.sc/QFfMlj6n3MvJ

After using MariaDB, will I have similar interface where instead of MySQL there would be MariaDB written?

Also most important is, can I use phpMyAdmin as usual or have to use different tool for this?

2) Even c-panel support team told me that both MySQL 8.0 & MariaDB 10.6 are best & can not find who is winner😂😂. Both have their own pro & cons.

Still I have one way to find out. If you have experience you can tell me easily & I do not have to make any test.

Suppose take this example hypothesis.

I have One wordpress website with best server configuration (Like either paid litespeed or nginx + all possible server cache + cloudflare free cdn with best possible configuration + full optimize website with web-p images/good-cache-plugins etc. bla blah blah techniques).

Then in one server I use MariaDB 10.6. Suppose its performance/speed score is 100%.

Then in another server with same website I use MySQL 8.0. Then what will be the possible performance/speed score?

Will it be Below 100% OR More than 100% or Stay same.

I hope you understand my this silly example thesis😂. (I got this idea today's morning to clear all over thinkings at once)

Sorry if this example does not make any sense. But I will be glad if it make any sense & got reply from you.

Have a nice day😍
Iron-Man💗

P.S: Anyone in this thread, if you understand my silly example above😂; I will be glad to receive your opinion with💗.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

However in order to keep our huge array of resources free of charge we need to generate income from ads so to use the site you will need to turn off your adblocker.

If you'd like to have an ad free experience you can become a Babiato Lover by donating as little as $5 per month. Click on the Donate menu tab for more info.

I've Disabled AdBlock